Mother Of Derrick Estell Speaks Out

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) -Captured inmate Derrick Estell escaped from the Garland County Jail one month ago, but contrary to what authorities say his mother claims she had nothing to do with it.

Glenda Estell was charged with assisting in the escape shortly after her son made his run.

Now, Estell tells she was harassed by Garland County deputies during the initial search, and believes she was eventually arrested just for being the mother of an escaped convict.

Just 30 minutes after speaking to her son for first time since his escape, Glenda Estell visited Little Rock to talk only with us about the investigation that surrounded the previous conversation with her son.

“I feel like I have been treated very unfairly. I feel like my name has been slandered all over the nation, and it’s not right,” said Glenda Estell when speaking about her arrest and three night stay in the county jail.

She was on the phone with Derrick when he jetted out of the Garland County Jail. Transcribes of the conversation led investigators to believe she set up the escape.

“When he asked me if everything is well, I said ‘It’s all good,’ meaning my health is all good. That’s the way we talk,” Estell answered, when asked about accusations she set up what authorities called an “elaborate plan.”

She added it’s how they’ve always talked even when he was at a prison prior to being transferred.

“We talk this way on recordings at Brickeys like that,” Estell said about the previous center Estell was housed.

“So they twisted that around too. The tennis shoes he bought a pair of Nike’s at Brickeys, and that’s why I asked him what pair of shoes do you have on,” she continued about inquiring what shoes he had on.

Denying any involvement with his escape, Estell’s mother remains upset that he slipped away from police a second time.

“He made them look like, excuse my language, idiots, not once but twice. I really do believe it was an inside job because there were no handcuffs and no deputies around him.”

Glenda Estell believes Derrick needs to serve time for his convictions, but not in a state prison, where she says his drug addiction continues.

“I believe that he needs to pay for the crimes that he’s done, but I believe that he needs to be put in a facility where he can get the right kind of treatment that he needs, instead of going right back and getting the same stuff he was doing out on the streets.”

Derrick Estell is facing charges of burglary in Florida before he can be extradited back to Arkansas.

Courtesy of KATV News.

image002

15 Responses to Mother Of Derrick Estell Speaks Out

1. Shawn Dalrymple Reply

August 29, 2013 at 7:23 am

I have known this women and her family for years. Not only do I believe her. I support her and whatever legal actions she is taking on her behalf.

2. JUST ME Reply

August 29, 2013 at 8:07 am

I to have known Glenda Estell sence she was young with small children, She is someone who only cares about herself, I think she should have to pay for what she did not only @the Garland co. Sheriffs office but calls to the prison . She has always got a stand by lawyer there to [get the bad guy] WHEN ONLY GLENDA GOT HER BUTT IN A CRACK. SHE IS THE NUT NOT THE SHERIFFS OFFICE,, Larry Sanders you are not only a good SHERIFF BUT A GOOD MAN ,PRAYING FOR HEALING FOR YOUR PRECIOUS WIFE .GOD IS STILL IN THE HEALING BUISNESS.

3. Person Reply

August 29, 2013 at 8:36 am

Anyone had a right to their opinion and here is mine in regards to some of her statements.

1) Her questions were way too convenient to be just random questions. She had to know what was going on since the phone call Derrick made at 7:27 a.m. the day he escaped made reference to Derrick ‘being back in a couple of hours’ and included Derrick telling his mother that he would call her and hang up to let her know when he was picked up. (Information from thv11)

2) She said she thought it was an inside job because there were no officers around and he didn’t have handcuffs on. I have seen from working in the jail at times that not all inmates have handcuffs on 24/7 and deputies don’t stand over each inmate 24/7. So, those statements do not indicate at all it was an inside job.

3) She feels she was attacked? Really? You were interrogated my law enforcement officials to determine your involvement. You were on the phone when he ran out, you knew he was going to be picked up. It is all recorded.

STOP TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK LIKE THE VICTIM!!! YOU HELPED YOUR SON AND YOU SHOULD PAY THE CONSEQUENCES.

4. Tenyia Tackett Reply

August 29, 2013 at 10:36 am

It’s very obvious that she helped her son escape, she was on the phone with him when he made his escape. How else would he of known there was a car waiting for him outside? The garland county police officers and deputies do an amazing job and I’m grateful to them for their service. Heck, if it wasn’t for them I would of never got my life straightened out!

5. Josh Reply

August 29, 2013 at 10:54 am

I think Derrick made them look like Barney Fife! LOL

6. Darrell Dunn Reply

August 29, 2013 at 11:30 am

Sounds like Ma Barker and her boys to me!

7. Karen White Reply

August 29, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Where’s the like button for Darrell comment? Wanting the guy put in community corrections or something like that for armed robbery! Right..lol

8. mike estell Reply

August 29, 2013 at 1:47 pm

that b###h hasnt got half the sence Ma Barker had. She did it all and then was so stupid that she calls the GCSD idiots. Now go get in your car and drive the streets in garland co..Shes the idiot .she will get hers. i have got my name listed, i dont talk junk and hide behind names like me annd person

9. LabRat Reply

August 30, 2013 at 2:26 am

Yeah right. In all likelihood, her son is going to die in prison. If he ever does get a chance to get out, he’s going to be an old man. He doesn’t need rehabilitation; he needs to be separated from society. He’s a menace. I have no doubt in my mind that she was in on this escape plot. I hope she’s proud of herself. Her loser son even made the news on the Daily Mail, which is a British newspaper.

10. Alan grissom Reply

August 30, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Trash!!!

• JO Reply

August 30, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Derrick Estell is the perfect example of a man who has had a hard life.got on hard drugs ,He is a sick man He is not trash I cannot say that for his Mother she has not been in the Estell fam. in yrs, as for Dirrick he should and will pay for all hes done ,His family is so upset with all of the awful things that has been said and done .this could happen to any family …….THE ESTELLS ARE GOOD PEOPLE

• Alan grissom

August 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm

So was Charles Manson

11. Cindy wilson Reply

September 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I think I know Glenda better than anyone. Being a mother she absolutely would help her son, but escaping from jail is not what she would consider as “help” for Derrick. Besides my sister Sue she is the most honest person I have ever known.

12. simon crorkz Reply

September 25, 2014 at 5:03 pm

GkR5Qv Thank you, I’ve just been searching for information about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have discovered so far. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?

13. Pilar Bohol Reply

September 26, 2014 at 12:33 am

Thanks , I have just been looking for information about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered till now. But, what about the bottom line? Are you sure about the source?