Father Allegedly At Bar On First Day Of School, Leaves Little Girl Home Alone

A Hot Springs man was arrested for Endangering the Welfare of a Minor Monday morning after leaving his child home alone on the first day of school while at a bar.

Ian G. Smith, of 144 Fairwood in Hot Springs was arrested by Garland County Sheriff’s Office.

According to the report, the child’s mother stated that she was waiting at school for her child on the first day of school. The child never showed up.

The report states that the mother called her husband, which had the child at this time. She also contacted the sheriff’s office and met with the deputies at the husband’s home.

There was no vehicle in the driveway and when knocking on the door, no one answered.

Later, the husband’s mother gained entry and found the little girl asleep on the couch. The suspect returned home later. He was arrested by Garland County deputies for Public Intoxication and taken to jail. A witness stated they were all together last night at the bar.

99 Responses to Father Allegedly At Bar On First Day Of School, Leaves Little Girl Home Alone

1. TNT Reply

August 21, 2013 at 5:49 am

What a pile of sh*t. great parenting skills moron

• Kenneth Freeman Reply

August 21, 2013 at 7:25 am

What a MOUNTAIN of sh*t!!!

• The Artful Todger Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

This is exactly the type of person that is dragging society further down an abyss of ignorant, self-centered sewage. Decent people would like to avoid such an abomination and displace them from civilized society.

2. Jim D'bruissiant Reply

August 21, 2013 at 7:38 am

I don’t know what you guys are talking about. Clearly the tattoos on the face, and upper neck mean this man is a deep deep thinker known for calm, reasoned decisions. He’s so deep he’s like Marianas trench…of of shiatty people.

• AB's Reply

August 21, 2013 at 8:30 am

The tattoos dont mean anything. He just a loser period.

• skyisfalling

August 21, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Yeah man, but when you have tat’s on your swallow tube you are definitely “special”.

• Robbie Reply

August 23, 2013 at 2:40 am

Why is it that if someone has tattoos makes them a bad person. Clearly he made a bad choice and decision. I know this man and he’s a very loving father. But tattoos shouldn’t classify someone we are ordinary people just like anyone else.

3. Tardo Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

Father of the year right here.

4. Lesley clark Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:05 am

Fuck the dad. I wanna give that little girl a big hug. First day of school should be a celebration. Bless her heart.

5. Pebbles Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:19 am

Wow… Im not sure what repulses me more the behavior of this loser or the comment of the loser about the tattoo’s.
    When first reading this article.. My first thought what scum and why such as him are even in care or responsible for a child when clearly he has not only no respect nor regard for himself but certainly not for his child which is suppose to be a priveledge to have in his life, not a obligation or burden… Obviously another human being bringing a child into the world just as something to do or something that happened and does not have the heart nor brains to be a ” father “.
    After reading this article and seen his picture and then that there were comments I IMMEDIATLY before even reading them knew some jugdemental, idiot would blame or catagorize his behavior while disgusting to his “tattoo’s”. I’m sure this man with sucj a great morals and decision making abilities made sound,positve responsible decisions BEFORE he had tattoo’s. Such ignorant judgement and catagorizing from people makes me as sick as this behavior. Tattoo’s DONT make a persons charachter just as their eye or hair color or their choice in clothes, the car they drive, the choice in the decoration in their homes. Read the paper everday and see how many people that make terrible choices are tattoed verses NOT!! In the last month of reading this paper, 2 have been “tattooed” individuals. This judement is just plain ignorant and uninformed people. The next time your in need of police help or maybe medical help of any sort, these very people your needing help from could possible be covered in tattoes that you DONT SEE, so I hope they turn their back on you and NOT HELP, since clearly tattoo’s make a person irresponsible, not able to make good choices and just “Bad People”.

• Tardo Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:22 am

TL;DR

• Old Guy Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:28 am

Well Pebbles that is Mr. Perfect talking. He can tell you everything about everything and how it should be.

• Lesley Clark Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:26 am

Pebbles, everything you posted crossed my mind too. His tattoos have zero to do with his character. Coming from a tattooed and dedicated mom who celebrated the kid’s first school with love and rejoice, not a trip to the bar.

• Jim D'bruissiant

August 21, 2013 at 11:23 am

Actually, the tattoos on his face show a complete lack of foresight. Good luck landing anything other than a minimum wage job with those. Hey at least he looks cool while being poor.

• Better Than You Even With A Tattoo Reply

August 22, 2013 at 3:15 am

I am in complete agreement with Pebbles in regard to the judgemental jerks who think tattoos define the person. I would not be afraid to put my parenting skills up against ANYONE who reads this. I have a wonderful, intelligent, handsome son with excellent social skills. I took his picture every year on the first day of school and attended every possible school event. Yes I made sure he got to school every morning well dressed, clean and fed with homework in hand. I did this all while working a fulltime job and may very well have taken great care of your or one of your family members. You guessed it, I have 22 tattoos that you will likely never want nor have the need to see. I am a single, well educated parent and I have given great thought to every decision I ever made regarding my son or anything else in our lives. I am caring, compassionate, unselfish and would do anything to help someone in need. How dare you decide what type of person we are just because we choose to have our art on our bodies. As previously stated I know horrible parents and childless persons who make selfish, irrational, immoral, immature and just plain stupid decisions all while keeping their temple free of sinful artwork. Shame of this piece of crap but the devil or his tattoos made him do this. He is simple ignorant to the highest degree mostly likely from day one on this earth.

• Pebbles

August 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Well said..!!!!

6. call me crazy Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:36 am

regardless of his tattoo’s and it being the first day of school… exactly how old was this little girl? just saying a young child is quite a cheap way for the press to condemn a person in the public eye without the truth being told. say she was 12yrs old… still considered a young child by many people.. and very able to walk her own but to school. who is to say he did not drop her off at school and went straight to the bar meanwhile the girl walked back home and used HER house key and decided to just sleep that day instead of going to the first day of school. just saying learn to read what is NOT in the story before you rush off to judge and jury someone.

• S Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

I highly doubt that this child walked home. Look at the address they found her at. There are no school within walking distance…

• private Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:12 am

I know them she is a little girl

• dee Reply

August 21, 2013 at 6:26 pm

The child would have to be under 10 to be charged like this. Arkansas law a child over the age of 10 is legal to be home alone for periods of time.

• skyisfalling Reply

August 21, 2013 at 8:24 pm

OK…you’re crazy..

• call him crazy troll Reply

August 22, 2013 at 7:41 pm

well… if you read it above.. “A witness stated they were all together last night at the bar.” So mom…..dad and child were out celebrating the coming first day of school at the bar? lol! Now that’s perfect! child is probably 22 and a sophomore.

7. Sandra Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

I am seriously offended by the numerous remarks concerning the offenders tattoos! I have numerous tattoos including some on my neck! These have absolutely nothing to do with the type of mother and person that I am! I am the proud mother of a beautiful 11 year old, I work a full time job (as does my tattooed husband), I am currently enrolled at ASU Beebe (pre nursing), and am not on any type of government assistance! I don’t smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol but apparently, because of my neck tattoos, I do all that and more!!! Judgmental much? This guy is a screw up because he decided that drinking was more important than his child NOT because he has tattoos! You should be outraged over the neglect of this innocent child instead of spewing ignorance and stupidity in regards to his tattoos!!!

• Pebbles Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:16 am

Yes I so agree with you…
      Tattoo’s dont MAKE a person.
      There are professional people all around the world that have tattoo’s that are great, productive members of our society that are responsible and work in many different careers helping others and performing services that make our society work. Good people with good morals. Making a choice to express themselves in a ART FORM. Its time uneducated, judgemental people get over the “stigma” of tattoo’s and what they think they represent. Bad people that make bad choices come in ALL walks of life.

• Jim D'bruissiant

August 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Gonna chalk getting inked on your face up with the bad choices column. But hey, you look real cool there with that wicked face tattoo with no money and a crap job cause no one will take you seriously.

• Tardo Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:39 am

OMG everyone!!! Sandra is SERIOUSLY OFFENDED! Let’s take notice..

• Sandra

August 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Sarcasm…wow! Way to go there El Tardo!! You are one special individual!!

• Jim D'bruissiant Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

Try getting a nursing job with tattoos on your face, genius.

• Sandra

August 21, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I work in that field now GENIUS!!! Thanks!!!

• Jim D'bruissiant

August 21, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I bet being a cna and wiping butts is awweesome.

• Sandra

August 21, 2013 at 11:17 pm

it pays the bills at more than minimum wage so Im good!! :)

• Pebbles

August 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Boy I hope when your old sitting in a nursing home and in need of “someone to wipe your butt” those CNA’s that you put down lets you sit for DAYS!!! You seriously need to fall off your jugdemental high horse.
        If you didn’t live under some kind rock you would have the knowledge to know MANY tattooed individuals are professional people working in careers from nursing, doctor, military, and many different types of service industries, even ones with tattoo’s as visible as the neck. While the neck and face not all agree on as being acceptable just as some don’t agree with them anyplace its a personal choice for each individual. All though many are judgmental towards tattoo’s in general, they don’t have to have them but those who choose to have the right to do so and shouldn’t have their character judged to to them. Its people like you who judge that continue to make this judgmental world we live in continue.

• Charlotta Reply

August 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Your right tattoos do not a person make. This guy is an idiot who didn’t have sense enough to realize what a special being a child is and that not everyone gets the chance. I know plenty of tattooed people including my husband who is an American Soldier who would gladly lay down his life for anyone of us. I have tattoos I don’t have them in obvious spots but still I have them I go to school and all the other responsible things a parent does. This guy screwed up and I am glad nothing happened to this poor child but his tattoos are not the reason he is a screwup.

8. Concerned Citizen Reply

August 21, 2013 at 10:45 am

I hope he lost his custody/visitation rights. Prayers for the child and mom

9. Tjernobyl Child Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:02 am

Wow. people should really learn how to read sarcasm….

10. Letmebeheard Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:14 am

Why did this Mother not take her child to school on the first day?

• someone who knows Reply

August 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Mother was franticly trying to get in touch with the dad and had to wait until the 6 year old child did not show up for school before she could file missing persons report.there are numerous details missing from this report, one being the mother is not his wife but his ex-wife.He has a different wife now . By the way, he has a good paying job.He needs NA and prayer not a bunch of people making snap judgements.Thank God for protecting the child. The other thing is .it is unbelievable how many hoops you have to jump thru to get help even when a 6 year old child is envolved.It is scary and emotionly exhausting to know your child is in danger and you just have to wait. And oobviously has no business talking care of his child until he gets himself cleaned up snd I hope he does it for his daughters sake.

11. Jim D'bruissiant Reply

August 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

Read: If you get a tattoo on your face, you will never have a job better than flipping burgers or working on vehicles. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that is all you want out of life. I’ve been under the needle myself, but I’m not an idiot and I know how to place my tattoos that they may be covered and dont end up excluding me from a job. Be it civilian, or military.

But I was attacking tattoos and not this man’s clear lack of thinking about consequences of his actions nor consideration beyond anything other than “looking cool in the moment.”

• Jim D'bruissiant for President troll Reply

August 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I approve this message

12. ∆٩ Tim Sweeney (tog) (@sweeneytog) Reply

August 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm

it took a village to raise that dad

• someone who knows Reply

August 21, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Yes , and the village is not finished.There is much prayer going up for this man God is not finished with him yet!!!!!!

13. Marla Williford Reply

August 21, 2013 at 12:57 pm

How did this become about this low lifes tatoos and not the little girl?

14. Roxanne Hedden Reply

August 21, 2013 at 1:16 pm

None of y’all know the entire story while ur judging someone u know nothing about other than this story. There’s way more to the story. U have not heard his side of the story. So lets not b judge mental. It’s not My job nor urs. Waiting to get the rest of the story

• Tardo Reply

August 21, 2013 at 2:19 pm

You must be new to the internet.

• Rh

August 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm

No actually I’m not. I don’t judge people. I know him and I know this is not all the story. And ur name is tardo?? But the rest and full story will never b aired. And just so u all know he has a very good paying job. So far it just looks as tho someone made a very poor decision. As I said. Waiting to hear the rest of the story.

15. Bill Wisely Reply

August 21, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Hey, some of my best clients sport tattoos!

• skyisfalling Reply

August 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I can only imagine.

16. Jim D'bruissiant Reply

August 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Did somebody say spider-Man thread?

17. Billy Reply

August 21, 2013 at 5:13 pm

The tear drop under the eye is a prison tat that basically declares the owner has turned himself over to the criminal system. Kind of a no way out sign. One Hope, one Way out forgiveness through the Lord Jesus Christ, Follow Jesus He Knows the Way.

• Rh Reply

August 21, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Billy ur wrong. He’s NEVER BN IN PRISON

• Roxanne Hedden Reply

August 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm

And u need to look a little closer BILLY. He doesn’t have a tear drop. Jerk

18. Katoboto Reply

August 21, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Lord have Mercy! If this guy had visitation with his child, some judge needs to terminate immediately ( from personal experience, I sure hope the judge isn’t in Pulaski County, i.e.,totally clueless & inept)

19. Deeann Reply

August 22, 2013 at 7:40 am

He is a little bitch! I pray for his children. I bet you wish you had n judged me an told my step daughter your wife I was not welcome in her life cause I saw right pass your weak and controlling abusive behavior. I tried to talk to you and apologize for anything I did and I was not aware of. You took it out on Lauren and would not face me. But my son shows up an you were a kiss ass.oh I see you were caught trying to hook up with a13 year old. Maybe you can control a dumb young child but oh yeah its illegal loser

• Beezelbub Reply

August 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

Follow Jesus you say Billy

Why?

If the guy only has a low paying job, he might not be able to donate much money to all the fake churches around here.

Churches are all about money, check out the Religion section of this online paper.

See you in church Billy, bring your check book.

• Sandra

August 22, 2013 at 9:40 am

That God fearing Christian (Billy) might need to take his own advice! He is judging this man by his facial tattoos and Im pretty sure thats not Godlike! Bad Christian!!

20. Leviathan Reply

August 22, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Sandra- your right.

Christians are fake people worshipping a fake book.

21. LabRat Reply

August 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Tattoos are for sheep who follow the flock. You’re not original when everyone has one. Having them on your face makes you look like someone who works at a carnival.

• Ryan Cook Reply

August 23, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Well that’s just like, your opinion, man.

• Pebbles Reply

August 23, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Little do you know, tattooed people put their tattoo’s that have some meaning for them behind it. Thats just ignorant… Like saying your a sheep who follows the flock because people all have hair styles that someone else has or drive cars the same as another person or wears clothes the same as others!!! Don’t judge what you don’t know. Oh wait your just like the other judgmental sheep follow the heard….

• Tjernobyl Child

August 23, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Okay Pebbles, first you say his tats mean nothing about him, and now you say people who get ink all put meaning behind it….So which is it? And what do his tats say about him? Come on you’re contradicting yourself. LOL

• Ketchum

August 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Both of you are giving him way to much credit and attention even discussing his retarded ass this much..! He is getting exactly what he wants attention and noticed. He has made it about him and not his abuse to his children and wife. Really tattoos or not he looks like a sorry piece of shit. Yep ink can’t even cover up his evil an sick soul that he is.

• Ketchum

August 23, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Really who cares about his gross load statement he is trying to make with the ink mess. I love tattoos on people who have class. But he worked hard to look as stupid as he does. He can’t hide the evil and mean coward he really is because if you were around him for a min. Ink and all it still don’t cover up Sorry piece of shit! Anything but a real man!

22. Robbie Reply

August 23, 2013 at 2:50 am

Off subject but all these people downing people with tattoos are really ignorant facial tattoos don’t mean a damn thing either. People discuss me, burger flipping and low end jobs because of tattoos that show that’s crap I know a lot of people with visible tattoos that make more money than most city/government jobs. Grow up

23. Deeann Reply

August 23, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Yes I agree that the people who are so shallow you are more upset about his looks an tattoos on him and you are not putting the child and victim as much concern as his appearance. He is not going to jail because y’all hate the way he looks. So keep your personal opinion to your self.an

24. crying tonight Reply

August 24, 2013 at 12:46 am

I hope each and every one of you are satisfied. This man committed suicide today. Without a judge or jury, you each convicted him without knowing the entire story. You each spoke evil of him without even knowing the person he really was. Everyone’s words affect others. Please, please realize this before judging other people in the future. He was much loved by those of us who really knew him and we mourn for him tonight.

• Ketchum Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:11 am

Oh my God I am so sad for his family and I am one of the people who was an had been angry with him for a long time. But I regret the hateful things that came out of my mouth I have been praying for him and his family. But your right we forget about the things we say in the moment and how it can affect the person and I don’t believe he was even thinking about what people post about the article. He has been in his own misery and emotional roller coaster since I have known him and his loved ones paid for it deeply. Once again I am looking at the real victims of his actions and I see his daughter and son having to live with the pain and without a father. I love my boys to much to leave them with that. God bless his family

• Robbie Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:16 am

He was one of my good friends….

• Dawne Vandiver

August 24, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I am a good friend of this family and have been told the story Ian said happened. This young man was granted full custody of his daughter and had been raising her mostly by himself and with the help of loving grandparents. All good people.

I am sure the comments here did not cause Ian’s action but I am certain it did not help.

His daughter Adored her father and he did her. The media found a great story line by wording it Little girl found alone 1st day of school. No one knew what actually happened that night. The story I was told could have happened to anyone. I one time did not count all the kids in my carpool and left a child on the playground with other teachers

We all have done something we wonder how we could have done?

Just don’t judge someone simply by a news story.That is why this country says you are innocent until proven guilty.

Mean comments are easy to write because you hide behind the phone, computer , I-pad.

This little girl is a very sad little girl because she will not see her Daddy on this earth again. A Daddy she loved.

Next time think before you write words that can hurt so bad the person may not be able to take it.

25. Ketchum Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:20 am

Very sorry I am related to his wife

26. Crying tonite Reply

August 24, 2013 at 1:39 am

What was said on here DID affect him, along with opinions voiced elsewhere. He felt useless as a man, a human being, but most importantly to him, as a father. The entire story has not been told but no one bothered to withhold judgment until the facts were known. Admittedly, he made mistakes but his life was falling apart. He would NEVER intentionally have hurt his daughter. In the end, though, he felt unworthy to BE her father, thanks in part to the comments here. I ask once again that you withhold judgment regarding events for which all the facts are not known. If being respectful of each other is a lesson learned from my Ebie’s death, then his death WON’T be entirely senseless.

27. someone who cared Reply

August 24, 2013 at 9:52 am

It’s so funny now that everyone knows that this young man took his life over the struggles from not only the comments left on this article but everyone else’s judgement and now you have nothing to say I hope you feel ashamed and I hope the next time you make a mistake you remember this and I hope the weight of this weighs heavy on your heart cause each and everyone of you who judged this wonderful young man need to drop to your knees and ask for forgiveness from the lord for he is the only ONE that can judge us. it really is disgusting the remarks that were left on here.

28. REALLY Reply

August 24, 2013 at 10:39 am

It’s amazing how the media can portray a story with the words “Allegedly” on the headlines, and BAM! he’s automatically guilty! Let’s string him up and hold a town lynching!!! REALLY?? is that what our society?? It’s so sad that Ian is no longer with us, but I hope each and every one of you stop how ignorant and immature your comments are. It just shows how shallow and ignorant people can be.

29. crying tonight Reply

August 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

Ketchum, It’s a bit late to say “sorry”. Maybe you should say “sorry” to his children who are left without a father thanks, in part, to the comments made here. I notice that your comments were especially scathing. (Look up that word before you reply, because I’m sure you don’t have a clue what it means.)

30. Disappointed and sad Reply

August 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

Imagine the guilt and pain Ian felt. Imagine how low and alone. I’ve personally observed his parenting skills for many years and he has shown to be anEXTREMELY caring and good dad. after I found out he left her alone I knew he had made a mistake. But this man was good. He did not deserve the ignorant and hateful words that have been said here. Please keep this in mind for future comments.

31. Ketchum Reply

August 24, 2013 at 12:08 pm

You good friends are little late to shame anyone for his death. Funny that is what it took to hear from anyone who was defending him. Shame on keeping the pain remarks going. It is over and I don’t know who is not sorry how it ended but it is over may he rest in piece

32. J moore Reply

August 24, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Guess what a$$holes – he’s dead. You didn’t know the while story and like the trolls you are fed on his misery. Hope you all sleep well.

33. Ian's sis Reply

August 25, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I am his sister and I want this thread to end now PLEASE. We cannot bear this anymore. Thank you to those who knew Ian and spoke up on his behalf. You just don’t know how much it means to us. We have to spend the rest of our lives with a huge void because Ian isn’t here anymore. My brother was a wonderful father but made a mistake and PAID FOR IT WITH HIS LIFE.

34. Roxanne Hedden Reply

August 25, 2013 at 11:39 pm

You go Debbie. I put a post on here last night to find today it’s gone. It was a pretty good one to I might say. I’m so sorry for our loss and a huge one it was. Hope to c u tomorrow at visitation. Loving this family.

35. Hoboken Tikkleschitz Reply

August 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Wow. This guy is gone now. What a bunch of a$$holes we are! Now everyone get in a circle and pick up a huge rock…Now chunk it!!!

36. Ians cousin Roxanne Hedden Reply

August 26, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I hope u will all look at the obituaries and c how good looking Ian is. And the type jobs he had. So Jim before u judge someone and say they will never land more than a min wage job, get ur resources first, jerk. And Deann in which called him a lil bitch I’d like the opportunity of meeting u if ur at visitation r funeral. Ian loved his daughter more than life and died with his daughters pic in his hand. U people should get a life and quit kicking people when they r already down. Put ur hand out and help a person up instead of judging so cruelly. I would not b on here if this were not my family. I loved Ian so much. He was a kind hearted awesome young man that would do just about anything to help someone out. Shame in y’all. Maybe this will teach u all a lesson and save another person from being so crucified. Therefore Ian won’t go down in such vain.

• nobody important Reply

August 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Yes he looked nice in the obituary picture. I am sorry for the family and the painful things you read on here. I have been reading this since the article was published and a lot of the comments were before anyone knew that he had killed himself. I also read where Deeann had apologized for the hurtful post she said out of anger. She was the only one who has tried to show any regret an feel remorse for hurting anyone. Please remember that alot of people are friends with the wife and family who only know how he treated her and her family. I think these blogs need removed an not allowed. The press is the worse place for drama. Thank God his daughter is not old enough to read this. I believe that the family would not mention his wife since she was not with him and in process of divorce. Praying for your family and god bless you

37. someone who cares Reply

August 26, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I have been reading all these comments and sometimes its just best to keep your comments to yourself! But with that ……….When a person decides to take his own life there is something not working right…..Suicide is a horrible thing and i would never wish that on my worst enemy. When someone does this they made that decision themselves and what is the most horrible thing is they leave people behind with a lot of unanswered questions. You can point fingers at people and say this is your fault but that’s not gonna bring him back and that just makes the hurt go deeper. Lots of circumstances go with this and not only did he leave his parents, sister, and all other family and friends hurting he has left his kids behind not to ever get to know their dad especially his baby boy! His daughter will remember her dad and from what i could tell he did love her and was good to her. He just used bad judgement. It was not smart to leave her home alone! My Sunday school lesson was on this very thing. I’m gonna try and put this on here as best as i could remember! Please don’t think I’m not trying to be mean or hurtful!” Its never right to do wrong and its never wrong to do right. Suicide is selfish in a sense that i truly believe that God did not intend for it to be carried out that way.” Someone very close to me did this and let me tell you it was horrible and its something that takes along time to get over . here are periods of hurt and mourning and then there is anger and that kind of anger is very hard to understand unless you have lived it! you may think that you could never be angry but you will. He had a ex-wife and they had a daughter and he had a wife and they had a son and from what i seen in the obituary they were not listed. I can see not listing the ex-wife but why not his current wife. You know if you are pointing the finger at her she had no control of his decision that he made. At times like these it takes lots of FAMILY and FRIENDS to get you through it and when all the company is gone and its quite that is when it really sets in. You are left alone to figure this out and you may never get your the answers you are looking for and the one person that knows isn’t here to tell you. I pray for all the family and I mean all: His parents, brothers and sisters, his daughter and yes his ex-wife because even tho they weren’t married they had a child together and they would forever be a part of each other, and for his current wife, with a small baby, she will have to be his momma and his daddy! I hope that this family can come together and find peace!! Times like these can really bring the ugly out in people especially when they are hurting and i know you are but others are too. I really debated on writing this but when i look at all these comments I thought to myself “WOW” what I have to say can’t be to bad. In this day and time people take one look at a person and they are done. They don’t take the time to know that persons heart. I didn’t know him very well and I will be the first to say that when I seen all his tattoos I thought holy cow! but that is just not something I am into! I am gonna close cuz I think I have said enough but let me say again that I mean no one any harm. I’m thinking of his kids down the road and how they are gonna need all of you to help those 2 mommas raise those kids and help them to know the kind of person Ian was to you! God Bless you all!

• Ian's sis Reply

August 26, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Listen here…. I did NOT want to divulge all the details of that night but it’s obvious that this cannot be left alone. He left his daughter because he DIDN’T KNOW that she was in the top bunk of her bunk beds and couldn’t be seen because she was surrounded by stuffed animals. The neighbor that was babysitting brought her home after Ian fell asleep on his bed. He woke up at some point out of cigarettes and didn’t know that she was in the house. HE WOULD NEVER HAVE LEFT HER!!!!!!! He went to get cigarettes but had a car accident that totaled his car. The police took him to the hospital and then took him to jail for public intox. Ian had a prescription for Ambien for his insomnia which is what made him appear intoxicated. When he was released and had to walk home the required 8 hours later, my cousin saw him walking on the side of the road. He brought him home to find the police, his ex wife, her mother and my mother waiting for him. They arrested him for child endangerment. As far as why his current wife was not listed in the obituary, she had left him and filed for divorce on Aug 19th. Why would we have? BEFORE this article came out, he had made plans to start trying to make everything right. He was going to jump thru every hoop required to fix this and hopefully some day get back custody of his daughter. (no one has asked why he had custody in the first place have they?) My brother was so heart sick over everything that was being said about him and he ACTUALLY BOUGHT INTO THE JUDGEMENTS MADE ABOUT HIM. He believed what you said about him, that he didn’t deserve to be a father, at least that’s what we found in a partial suicide note left in the trash. Shame on all of you. Now that you know the full story, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LET HIS POOR SOUL REST IN PEACE.

• tha girl he loved

August 30, 2013 at 12:06 am

I am sorry for the pain and loss your family is going through. I know how comments are not helping. I just wanted to say that he was a lot different and I saw the side of him that he was in a lot of misery and had a lot of anger that he tried to self medicate to not have to face it. He was always a great loving father and he was not always good to his wife and she was willing to sacrifice anything to make him happy. Even her family members who he for what ever reason did not like an she was not allowed to be around them. I am sure you agree that was not a healthy love. She left and was not going keep having to move when would get mad about silly stuff and tell her to get out and then two days later he was sorry an wrong but it would never happen again. He always convinced her to come back and she wanted to be a family. I am not sure if she was a good person or not. I know her family never wanted her to go back to him so now sheis the victim she is acting as. I have been friends with Ian a while he was my person who I shared my personal problems with an I was his friend who listened to his. He had his #1 love his daughter and I know his new son was not old enough to have a bond that he an his daughter did. His wife did have jealousy with the daughter being able to have the relationship with her dad and I know she was not able to spank her but I saw jealously between step mom and daughter and dad. She was having a separate service for Ian an I wish she had been able grieve with the family and be there for closure and not the grieving poor wife with a baby to raise alone. She is not the blame he has threatened to kill himself a few times but it was not taken serious cause he told her he was if she wouldn’t come back and I have been thinking he was not right to use that an now I can’t imagine how she blamed herself but it was not her fault. He was not nice and disliked her family members except for a few. She was not going to be able to be without her brother’s and step mom who he hated an she had no ideal he felt that way until the wedding and when the baby was born. He was telling Lauren to make her leave. She is a nice lady and he was not mean once her son Laurens brother came and he said if anyone leaves he can its stupid and I am not going to let him come between us. But it made Lauren nervous that he was mad. Please accept the fact that he chose to take his life and leaving the innocent daughter to live with the pain and blame herself someday an a baby boy.who was deprived of knowing him. He was in a dark empty place and if he would of went to god about it God would of gave him comfort and strength. I pray for the fate of his actions and I wish he had not let evil make him feel hopeless. I lost my brother same way my heart breaks for you.

• Lynne

August 30, 2013 at 8:56 am

To “tha girl he loved” I would respectfully ask you to NOT tell Ian’s sister what she does and does not have to accept. You are in no way important or relevant in the healing process of Ian’s family. To be honest……What transpired between Ian and either of his wives has no bearing on this matter. The post Ian’s sister made is to clarify that Ian DID NOT knowingly leave his daughter alone NOR did he leave her to go to the bar! I would also ask that you not use the names of the minor children involved. Those kids do not need to be publicly drug through the mud. If you think his family isn’t aware that Ian was not perfect you are wrong. We all knew he was not, NONE of us IS!!!!! However you can not and will never be able to take away from him that he was an amazing father. If you were a friend of Ian’s I am afraid to see what his enemies are like. He is gone……..telling all of his personal issues with his wife and his private life in the wake of his death is probably one of the most suboptimal moves a person could make. I realize you have an opinion, however, Ian’s family is allowed to grieve in whatever way suits them and do not need advice from a stranger. What transpires between Ian’s family and ex-wives is frankly not your business unless you are one of them. I would appreciate it if you would respect the family who is hurting and missing him. That is the least you can do if in fact you are “tha girl he loved” then you will have enough respect for his memory to stop with the telling of all his life’s details which did not need to be mentioned here.

• sum one else who knew him Reply

August 30, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I agree with everything you posted. And so does alot of others.

38. Ians cousin Roxanne Hedden Reply

August 26, 2013 at 11:12 pm

AMEN MEGAN! Good Job. Didn’t really know if all that could be said yet. My advice to all of this tragedy of our family now is to leave us alone and let Ian’s life rest. That’s the least we deserve. And don’t ever comment on stories like this and stomp on people like this. It’s none deserving and uncalled for. There’s always 2 sides to every story and then the truth. Y’all crucified Ian and he had done nothing unknowing wrong. Good night and no more comments welcome

• Someone who KNEW and LOVED Ian Smith Reply

August 27, 2013 at 8:25 pm

I have known Ian, his sister, and their family for 10 years. Ian was not only a good man with a kind heart but he LITERALLY lived for his babies. NEVER would he have knowingly left his daughter alone NEVER EVER. She was his would and clearly his reason for living. I would give up all of my limbs to have a father HALF as awesome as Ian for my own child. He was not only attentive and involved in his baby girls daily life but he WORKED HIMSELF TO THE BRINK OF EXHAUSTION to provide for his family. ALWAYS!!! Neither of his wives did without and his children were more than loved and more than provided for but all you see is tattoos. You don’t see a father, brother, son, grandson, and friend. You all need to check yourselves. If Jesus walked the earth now? Ian Smith would be a person he would be drawn to. Nonjudgmental, pure at heart, kind, god fearing. Last I checked we have but ONE judge and none of you are it. Ian I love you I believed in you and I will never let your memory fade

39. Dana Reply

August 27, 2013 at 8:52 pm

The very sad thing is the whole truth is not on this story. They onky like to tell the worst. His little girl was left with a sitter who took for granted her daddy was coming home & left her tbere! Yes he was wrong but things haooened to where he didn’t get home. He is dead now & that precious little girl will never have her daddy! He was a very sweet young man, thte tattoos didn’t have anythjng to do with that!!!! You are sad people!!

• Someone who KNEW and LOVED Ian Smith Reply

August 27, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Dana you are so right and honestly? After the outward decorations his physical matches that beautiful colorful inside.

40. a girl he knew well Reply

August 28, 2013 at 6:49 am

I knew another side of Ian than you are giving. I have been around him a lot in last year and he was a loving dad. He was not always good to his wife. I have seen him treat her like a Queen an five minutes later he is yelling and going off on her for petty things. Controlling and insecure. He was taking alot of medication that he was prescribed but he abused them I have even heard him say it. I feel for everyone an I feel his wife was hurt and she may have been divorcing him but she was still his wife and in his life. An she is the mother of his son. Very cruel and she is not to blame. He did a selfish thing leaving his children to feel he decided toleave an what pain Chloe is going to forever have

41. a girl he knew well Reply

August 28, 2013 at 8:26 am

An just to set record straight I am not a friend of Lauren’s either I met her through him. But she took alot of emotional abuse from him and I recall him tng her which family membersshe could invite on her side? But his were not discussed. He said if her step mother or another person came that he would not marry her. I talked to him about how wrong he was an he didn’t love her like he should if th lady who helped raise her from 1yr old and the mother of her two half brothers where not able to see her on this day she should have known then it was a mistake. Her step mom was treated bad when she had Lawson at the hospital until her son who is 20 an he was not around hereto keep her people out. It is really sad Lauren is being treated like she is beneath you all. Hope of can bless you in
    .p

42. a girl he knew well Reply

August 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

Ambien was not the reason he appeared intoxicated he took xanax all the time and he had a problem with them. Also I am sure the comments were embarrassing tohim but it was not the fault for what he did. He has threatened to kill himself in the past and he probably was not in his right mind and I loved hanging out with him and our talks but he was troubled and had been for a while. He self medicated to numb his pain. His wife I don’t have a comment on she was divorcing him and she needs to move forward an not be putting her the victim she is having a separate service I read and doing a funeral for her and her friends I guess. I was shocked tosee that. I am not posting anything else I will miss him and our arguments and laughs but I wish he had been thinking about the kids and did the right thing raise them and face his fear an his problems but he made one last bad decision

• nobody important Reply

September 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I miss him we spent our last night together he was trying to tie up loose ends with sons mom but he was the best loving man an we were excited to be able to expose our love soon and he never mistreated his wife who was always leaving then back just playing with his heart cause she held the baby over his head. If anyone was abusive it was her. He didn’t have a mean bone in his body. I love you tat daddy or down lil lady til I am with you again

43. Miss T Reply

November 1, 2013 at 10:02 am

nobody important

I think you need to shut you mouth, You have NO right putting crap like that on here!!!! It only makes things worse, his family, his wife and his kids are very upset. He wasent trying to tie up loose ends, He even came to Laurens work the night before all this happending trying to talk to her to make it work. Ian LOVED lauren and his kids. He had a problem but everyone does. It pisses me off that you get on here a write shit like this but cant say who you are! Really bitch! Maybe you should give Lauren a call, she would be happy to meet you anywhere or anytime. This is so messed up of you. You need to think about what you say before you get on here spreading shit around!!!!!!!!!!! you miss him? No honey, his family and kids miss him! Lauren did not play with heart, Its not always one person im sure both have done wrong to one another. Tat daddy? Really grow up. If you are a grown ass women then you should probaly give his wife a call. Im sure shed love to talk to you.

And for you all your people on here writing bad things, This man is gone. You should all feel awful for all the mean things. You guys need to get the story straight before you open your mouth!

His wife, kids, sister, moms, cousin aunts do not need to see your shit on here!

Lauren is my good friend, and this is hard on her. Ian and her both has faults,but Ian did love his kids. And when you see Lawson, you see Ian. Lawson and chole are little angels who look just like him.

Shame one you nobody important for writing this shit when the family in going through so much. Who are you???? ohh wait apparently your a cunt who cant even say who she is

• nobody important # Ian #love# Reply

November 1, 2013 at 7:11 pm

First thing I have held sweet Lawson an I know Lauren I am sure better than you. An ya she was talking abouthim like a dog and he knew it he loved his ex wife and his kids and he and Lauren were never stable she gets pregnant and jealous of his daughter he said that many times so she gets pregnant now out of thin air.. honey I am not hiding but I think you are the one needing to step off. I don’t need your approval and I don’t care to prove anything to lauren . She was not wanted any service she filed for divorce. I have letters andtattoo he left a big part ofhim with me. I was going to give copies ofour text an notes. He loved his wife she gave him a son. He was in love with someone but I have my memories with him. Oh an smattass I don’t know one person who blogged all the hateful things. On here the only people I know have been cousin an his sister. I think you should mind your own life and Lauren can say to me herself to me Idk! I don’t know what it matters know to talk to LA he is gone. So report that to her. Idiot he was seeing me for months my neighbors knew him funny u can’t handle the truth
      . That #1

• nobody important # Ian #love# Reply

November 9, 2013 at 6:38 am

Miss T?? Ya well I think you should mind your own busniess cause I have nothingtos say to Lauren. I don’t have to explain what we had between us an I told him I would never talk to her. He did what he had to do for his child. Now you’re calling me names that are not very Christian like! I know what he told me an I think itwas obvious. She can fool everyone else but she was jealous of her step daughter and that was Ian’s number one. An that’s that What Iyou an his no loving wife dont know is I am having a baby his an my baby due in February so I am not going to even respond to any more ignorant blogs from you or anyone else. I know what we had that’s all that matters. I think you should act like the Christian you portray to be. Who am I?? Really is that the big answer your looking for. If I was not having a baby I would tell you. Its none of your busniess an I have no desire to talk to his wife who is playing a victim. I have my pictures of us my tattoos and he named our child both boy and girl names are picked. So Lauren can tell who ever she is going to kick my ass.lmao never will she be bad enough to do that. So you grow up. God knows I am going to pray for you both KJ

• nobody important # Ian #love# Reply

November 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Well I have responded to you’re post which clearly you haveno ideal what really was going on. Neither did his wife if you call her that. So have fun talking out your ass when in fact your good friend Lauren needs to realize this never was about her. I have nothing to say to her or her bitch click. Your this big Christian on Fb well act like one. I feel sorry forlauen she really is dumb

44. Miss T Reply

April 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

So I just got on here and seen that you had written back! Wow a baby really, I doubt that. I just think you are trying to cause trouble! So how is this so called baby of yours? I seriously doubt you have a child by Ian. And Lauren dumb? I dont think so, i think you are the dumb one here getting on the internet claiming to have a child by someone who isnt even here anymore then wont even say who you are! Thats pretty low! So KJ since that the intinals you left when you going to stop being a child and say who you really are? Your and idiot if you really had a baby by a married man. You say if you wasent haveing a baby you would say who you are? You are nothing but coward!!!! a disrespectful bitch

Have a great day honey