Fatality Accident near Crystal Springs Sunday

A traffic accident resulted in a fatality near Crystal Springs Sunday around 4:00 P M.

An Arkansas State Police report identified the driver of the 1999 Ford F-250 truck as Gary Weems, 59, of Benton. No other vehicles were involved in the accident.

Preliminary reports indicate that two tour buses and other vehicles were traveling eastbound in the 9400 block of Albert Pike where traffic has to merge from two lanes to one.

A Ford F-250 pickup truck pulling a camper trailer also traveling eastbound skid off the highway and struck a tree causing the camper to detach from the truck. The truck’s cab was crushed in a rollover impact with the tree and the driver was killed.

Arkansas State Police were investigating the accident and taking measurements at the scene.0807
0808
0809

28 Responses to Fatality Accident near Crystal Springs Sunday

1. Barbara Burrow Deuschle Reply

June 16, 2014 at 9:41 am

My daughter, Shannon Deuschle Quinn came upon this wreck as she was traveling from Rogers to Hot Springs to see her daddy on Fathers Day. Formally trained in CPR and disaster preparedness, she climbed up on the hood of the truck to help him. He was face-down into the ‘folded’ hood of the truck, and CPR, or even back compressions, couldn’t be administered. His pulse was very, very faint, and she prayed with him the Lord’s prayer, and he died.

• Morgan C Reply

June 16, 2014 at 10:07 am

Wow bless your daughter for that. She was an angel to that man in his time of need.

• Gina Reply

June 16, 2014 at 1:07 pm

God bless your daughter for such a selfless act mr weem was blessed to have her by his side I’m glad that she was their to pray with him because that’s the only comfort he had at the time and I know that was also hard for her knowing that she was coming through that area to go see her dad for Father’s Day again god bless her for being with mr weems in his last minutes on this earth she will be richly blessed when it’s her time !

• jessie Reply

June 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm

This is my cousin, and his son was there and said a lady was praying with him…tell your daughter thank you.

• Brandi

June 16, 2014 at 2:03 pm

This is my cousin and it is so sad. The pictures make it to real…we thank the woman at the scene who was there with him and prayed with him at the end. Keep his family in your prayers in this horrible time.

• Susan Weems Reply

June 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Barbara burrow deuschle this was my father in law and I was behind him and I want to thank you and your daughter she did the best she could and I’m very happy that she was able to say prayer with him before he passed she is an amazing women she took such good care of my mother in law husband and two daughters words can not explain how greatful we are to have had her you have a wonderful daughter and thank yall so much

• Shannon Quinn

June 16, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Susan, your strength yesterday still amazes me. You will be a constant sense of peace for your family as you all try and begin healing from the loss of your precious father-in-law. I will never forget you, your husband Andrew, your daughters Erica and Daylon, your mother-in-law Mrs Weems, and always and forever, Mr. Weems. As we waited together, hours after the accident, Mrs Weems shared the most beautiful pictures and stories with me. Truly a beautiful love story and a beautiful, loving family. I hurt so badly for each of you. I pray for comfort, healing & peace for each of you. May the beautiful memories you all have, one day soon put smiles on your faces.. You are special people….and please know, Mr Weems was at peace….this I know.
        (Ps. You have my number, use it, any of you, if needed, if any of you have any questions, or if I can help any of you in any way)
        May God Bless you all..

2. Debi Martin Reply

June 16, 2014 at 10:40 am

God love your daughter. May God surround this man’s family with arms of comfort

3. Alex Reply

June 16, 2014 at 11:01 am

That’s an amazing story. Everyone should learn from her kindness.

4. Vickey K. Gray Reply

June 16, 2014 at 11:58 am

That literally made my heart ache. God bless your daughter & I’m thankful that she was prayed with him. Praying for Mr. Weems’ family.

5. Kathy Reply

June 16, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Praying for the family!

6. Mandy Mullenix Reply

June 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm

My family drove past as they were beginning to clean up. We were so saddened by what we saw. Bless your daughter for doing what she did. My prayers go out to her and Mr. Weem’s entire family.

7. humble servant Reply

June 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

First responders deal with this type of thing day in and day out. I’m a firefighter with a city department out of town. There is nothing worse than arriving on scene and knowing there is nothing you can do. Prayers for the family and all involved.

8. Rob R Reply

June 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

These people have been friends of my family for years ! My heart is heavy for their family ! Prayers for Drew and the rest of the family !

9. Debra Thornberry Reply

June 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm

I believe in angels. God in His infinite wisdom places them where they are needed. It has brought comfort to my heart that there was prayer. My husband is his Uncle and we praise the Lord for your loving act of kindness. God bless you.

10. BH Reply

June 16, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Shannon Q is a true, caring, unselfish hero. Prayers to family and friends. Rips my heart out.

11. Nej Reply

June 16, 2014 at 11:50 pm

My heart feels heavy re: the accident, but so glad the family was together, bless you all.

12. heather Reply

June 17, 2014 at 5:12 am

Christ is there with us as we take our last breath in this world and in the very next breath He is with us as with take our first breath in Heaven. What a beautiful Savior. Praying for the family and Shannon.

13. A man who understands Reply

June 17, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Please please go dangerous trailers.org and know that No National Safety Standards for these types of trailers. He lost control due to a product that is not safe. If GM is held liable for faulty ignition switches why are people towing a product that is dangerous and constructed cheaply?

14. We know how to have prevented Reply

June 17, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Brandi last year alone over 400 have been taken from us by people who tow trailers. The consumer does not realize that these camping trailers are never built to a National Safety a Standard like a car seat. Some even build these trailers homemade and when people loose control because of trailer sway the results are devastating . For 15 years we have been trying to help prevent what happened to your family member. Towing is a serious issue and towing a defective product adds more chances to have an accident . Congressman Cantor has prevented any national discussion . We pray and we understand your pain because we lined up 12 families to testify about accidents just like this and Congress never called back

15. Connie Lovell Reply

June 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I am very saddened for your loss of Mr. Weems. I am the daughter of your next door neighbor. Please accept my sympathy for your entire family.

16. Praying Reply

June 17, 2014 at 11:30 pm

We drove by shortly after, my heart hurt for your loss! I prayed that those hurt, knew Jesus and that those who witnessed would find peace in the Father’s arms. I passed again, today and stopped at the scene to pray for comfort for your family. Will continue to pray on each passing.

17. Amber Sanders Reply

June 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

This is to all the people talking about how this could be prevented! That was my dad and if you want to argue then do it somewhere else not on here! And thank you to all that are praying we need it so bad right now to the woman that stayed with my dad till he passed and my mom brother sisterinlaw and nieces I thank god for you you are truly god sent thank u so very much

• Shannon (Deuschle) Quinn Reply

June 18, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Amber, I can not express in words how much I hurt for you and your family. I have had a bit of a difficult time (questioning myself), wondering if I could have done something else…something more…and ‘why me? Why was I right there, right then, if I couldn’t have done more?’ (I will add, I was in this same situation just 2 months ago, while traveling on a TX highway w/ my children) Most people in their entire lives of driving don’t come upon an accident (before the EMTs), so I’ve really searched for answers as to ‘why me…twice’. I don’t have an explanation. But, to help me try to understand, my brother sent me a couple of passages. I know that during our most difficult & sad times, people often quote scripture, my intent in sharing these two passages is to help you, each of you, begin to find some sort of peace & clarity. Not necessarily ‘understanding’, as I don’t know that that you ever will, but maybe some peace &/or clarity. Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of The Lord that will stand” and Proverbs 3:5-6, “Trust in The Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths”. You and I will probably each read into those passages separately. But, they did help to give me a little bit of peace and clarity, as to why I was with your father and your family. I had ‘my plan’ for that day, but I believe The Lord’s purpose for me was to be there when I was. And the second helped me to have clarity as to ‘why?’. There isn’t any. I can not try to understand why, it was just my path that day. I am thankful that I was with your father, and thankful that I am able to let you and your family know that he was peaceful. I will meet him again one day and I look forward to it. Please know that I will be here for you and your family as you try to begin healing. Susan has my phone number. Use it, if I can help. You will all be in my thoughts.

TO: “We know how to have prevented” and “Man who understands”… you don’t. At least not in this particular situation. Although ‘trailering’ might be considered dangerous, you have no clue, whatsoever, as to what happened or as to what events led to this tragedy. You are probably correct, it might have been prevented, but not for the reasons you are talking about. Please know that I am not, in any way trying to be disrespectful, but I was there. And I feel certain that what you are thinking transpired (by reading the article above), is not what happened, not on this day.

18. Brian Hurt Reply

June 19, 2014 at 9:53 am

To Mr. Weems’ family, I was in the car directly behind Mr. Weems hauling my 13 year old daughter and six of her friends back to Dallas after a weekend on the lake. My wife was in a van behind me with four of my other children. We all want to express our condolences and let you know our prayers for Mr. Weems and his family started the second we pulled over and continued all the way back to Dallas. My children, especially me and my daughter who was with me and saw the accident, have been thinking and praying for Mr. Weems and you all week.

• Amber Sanders Reply

June 19, 2014 at 10:15 am

Thank u so much for your thoughts and prayers! Did u stop and make a witness statement?

19. Brian Hurt Reply

June 19, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I stopped and called 911. I told the operator everything I saw. He asked for my cell number, which I gave him and he said he would call me back if he needed further information. He asked if I could find a mile marker or mailbox to get a more accurate location and I tried to do that. We stayed until the police and ambulance arrived and by that time there were several people there.

• Amber Sanders Reply

June 19, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Thank u thank u so very much it warms my heart in our time of such tragedy to know there are still wonderful and compassionate people in this world!