A five-year-old boy was killed Sunday when he was attacked by a Bullmastiff dog that belonged to a family friend.

It happened at a home of Highway 298 in Jessieville around noon.

“The child was putting on some shoes and was crying and upset,” said Garland County Deputy Scott Hinojosa.  “The dog possibly took that as being aggressive and at that time the child was attacked.”

Hinojosa said a 50-year-old woman named Lynnn Geiling owns the dog with her husband.  Lynn told police she tried to pull the dog off the boy, but by the time she got them separated the boy had injuries described by deputies as “major lacerations” to the head and neck.

He was pronounced dead at Mercy Hospital in Hot Springs.

Deputies said the boy and his two-year-old sister are from Moore, Oklahoma.  They’d been staying with the family friends for about two weeks while their parents tried to rebuild after their home was destroyed in the recent tornado.

“You can’t imagine, you know, what this family and friends are going through right now,” Hinojosa said.

The dog ran away after the attack, and animal control was still searching for it late Sunday night.  It will be euthanized after it’s captured, deputies say.

Investigators are still working to determine whether the dog’s owners will face charges.

14 Responses to Child Killed In Garland County By Bullmastiff Was Tornado Victim From Moore, Oklahoma

1. Kay Swartwood Reply

June 10, 2013 at 8:24 am

The dog should be put down, but I don’t think the owners should face charges. She did what she could to stop the dog. Prayers going out to the family.

• D.j. Montgomery Reply

June 10, 2013 at 9:39 am

You don’t think the owners should be held responsible?? It is every dog owners responsibility to have control over their animals ESPECIALLY an animal that will attack. They should most certainly be held accountable for this. A little boy lost his life!! I also find it hard to believe the dog ran away afterwards. Probably more like they hid the dog so it wouldn’t be put down.

• brenda thomas

June 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

u r right, i am a bull dog lover, but the first sign of aggression the dog is gone. i have small grandchildren, one of them was attacked by a neighbors pit, to say the least the dog is gone.that bull mastive should have been kept away from those children. and yes the owner is responsible. my heart goes out to the parents. u place your children in someones care thinking they will be taken care of. so YES charges should be made

2. Joe K. Reply

June 10, 2013 at 8:56 am

This is sickening! I’m sorry but if your dog kills someone the owners need to be held responsible. They could have took precautions to prevent this!

3. Rhonda Reply

June 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

Don’t have small children in homes with these types of dogs
    , and I do think the owners need to be held responsible. When you take a child in your home, you are responsible, and that means to keep them safe. Put the damn dog outside or don’t have it there with children, it isn’t rocket science.

4. Rhonda Reply

June 10, 2013 at 9:27 am

Home owners should be charged with involuntary manslaughter or at a minimum negligent homicide. They didn’t have to have the dog in the house with the child. They are responsible for that child’s death! Just no excuses for this kind of negligence.

5. Kay Swartwood Reply

June 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm

They were trying to help the family out with the Moore tornado. They had the dog. Yes, they should of kept the dog outside. Bad call on the owner. But she did do everything she could. Sad the poor child died. It IS VERY BAD this happened . Me, myself, If this happened to a dog I had, I would kill the dog myself. I’m just saying. The owner did everything she could.

• brenda thomas Reply

June 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

no they didnt, else the child would be alive

• rick Reply

June 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm

No, the dog owner did NOT do everything she could or the accident would not of happened. The dog should have been pinned up out side in a safe pin away from
      people and especially kids. Yes the owners should be held responsible. If your dog hurts someone you need to pat for it. That is the risk you take with dog ownership.

6. Jennifer Reply

June 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This is a bad situation all the way around!! It is heart breaking for everyone involved!! I hate how these comments go towards the owners of the dog. Not all dog owners are bad owners! Do any of you know if this dog has ever shown aggresion before? No you don’t! Stop judging and pray for all involved even the dog!

7. Kay Reply

June 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Exactly Jennifer. All we know is what they wrote about. No history on the dog. Pray for everyone involved

8. D.W Reply

June 10, 2013 at 2:24 pm

to me if the dog has not returned to its home there was a problem there before the attack ! prayers to this childs family Im a owner of an aggressive dog and I take great percausion not that my dog will never bite theres always that chance even with our 3lb mutt but our dogs trust its owners and secure in its surroundings to come home not all dog owners are good owners get real we all now this . if my dog or dogs bite I would be responsible If you own one own up to it

9. Karla Reply

June 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

My heart goes out to all those involved with this tragedy. The animal most likely acted on instinct, taking the screams and actions of the child as a threat. The owner of the dog should NEVER have allowed the dog free access to the child, especially knowing this child is a stranger to the animal. Small children & protective large dogs DO NOT MIX! Accident waiting to happen. We have several dogs and I do NOT allow them to be in close proximity to my grandkids, even when closely supervised. It take a split-second for a little one to do something which triggers a retaliatory response from a dog. And the animal generally bites the head & face!

10. crorkz Reply

September 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

rBTPyA Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance, and I am surprised why this coincidence did not took place earlier! I bookmarked it.